Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Carrot "Fries"

 It's already been established that my closet is slowly going boho piece by piece. Keeping consistent with my new found hippie ways, I'm also trying to eat as "clean" as possible. But in all seriousness, I'm really trying to make a concentrated effort to eat more organic foods and just be healthier in general. I've mentioned it briefly before, but my desire to go "granola" on you guys all started with having kids. Once you have babes relying solely on you to nourish them, you really take a close look at what it is you're actually feeding them. And secondly, your post baby body may not respond to foods or nutrition plans the way it did before. I've found that really nothing is the same and I've had to kind of start at square one (with a little trial and error, and the help of my health and wellness coach) to figure it all out. 
Having said all that I knew the one area that would be difficult to transform (I don't like to give anything up, I just like to "adjust it" to better fit my goals) would be snack foods like crackers and humus or side dishes. The bottom line is you have to swap most things (crackers, rice, bread, pasta) for vegetables most days. And if you're anything like me, you prefer to drink your greens rather than eat them. The good news is the humus actually isn't so bad in small portions, but the crackers...ohhhh the crackers. So the next time you are craving a snack, grab the carrots (I get mine at Trader Joes) and follow these steps. You will be surprised how much you love the complex flavor...I know I was. 

  1. Preheat oven to 400.
  2. Cut and wash carrots. I did the ends first, then in half, then down the middle. Splitting them open this way gave it a more realistic "fry" like feel.
  3. Cover a cookie sheet with tin foil and arrange carrots in a single layer.
  4. Drizzle about a tablespoon (maybe two) of extra virgin olive oil then salt and pepper to taste. 
  5. Shake a little Lowery's seasoning salt in to your palm and sprinkle lightly over top. 
  6. Bake for 20-25 minutes, flipping them over about half way through. 
Xo,
T.

No comments :

Post a Comment