Thursday, October 23, 2014

Five At The Flea

Flea markets are a fickle business. Depending on when and where you attend, and what you're trying to find, your experience can be a total hit or miss. Having been to quite a few, and decorating half of my house in flea market finds, I consider myself somewhat of a pro. Having said that, I've gathered my top "five at the flea" tips that should help you navigate your next shopping trip. 

1. Think about what it could be, not just what it is. 
So many pieces you will see at the flea have major potential. It usually just takes a little imagination, and a lot of paint. 

2. Come prepared. 
Borrow a truck if you don't already have one, and considering throwing a dolly in the back. Have cash on hand as well as measuring tape or paint/fabric swatches. 

3. Bring your A game. 
The flea is all about negotiating. Don't be afraid to ask for the price you are willing to pay. (Or even slightly less.) 

4. Dress comfortably and bring snacks. 
I like to rock work out clothes and some kicks. Also, it's often a long hot day so don't forget to wear sunscreen. I'm not even going to talk about the time I wore short overalls and had a nice "V" burn on my back to prove it. 

5. Walk away. 
At the end of the day be prepared to say no. It can feel so disappointing to leave a piece behind after a long search. Don't let that feeling suck you into a poor purchase. If it's just too much, won't fit in your space, or doesn't work with what you already have at home...wait for the next find. That's the great thing about the flea, there will be an entirely new market full of goods next month. 
 We quickly realized after walking to the entrance that carrying Hudson was killing my back. (What was I thinking?) So Daddy took over baby bag and baby carrying duty. 
Such junk, and yet it made her so happy. 
Above area  few of the random and cool things you can expect to see at the flea!

So have you done any flea market flips? Is there a tip I missed that you swear by? I'd love to hear from you in the comments below. 
Xo,
T.

3 comments :

  1. Where is this flea market?? I would love to check it out :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Nina! This is the Long Beach Flea. The one I really loved, in Irvine is closed now. I want to hit up the Rose Bowl next! Thanks for commenting, it means so much!

      Delete
  2. Thanks!! LOVEđź’— ur blog by the way xoxox!

    ReplyDelete